Thursday, July 28, 2011

Things I Love Thursday

I was going to write about my love for Lily Allen and her music, but I just got off the phone with two of the most amazing people in my life: my parents.

I probably have a set of the most awesome parents ever. I don't mind saying, my parents are better than your parents. Jus' sayin'. ;) 

I've been a bad duckling and haven't spoken to my parents since Father's Day (I told you, bad duckling) because I've been writing, writing, writing. Not a great excuse, but it's the one I have. Anyway, being the concerned parents they are, they reached out and gave me a call.

It's my mom (well, she's my stepmom, but I don't normally make that distinction, I do now only because it's likely I'll eventually talk about my birthmom and just refer to her as my 'mom' - confusion abound! though I usually refer to my stepmom as 'El', but you'll figure all this out if you're crafty and follow along) with her cheerful voice, "Hello Dawn!" and after a little bit my father comes in with his baritone, "Are you okay?!"  He's always concerned that I'm not okay. *lol*

So, we had a chat for about twenty minutes about many things that won't be rehashed here, but suffice it to say...my parents are stinkin' adorable. I may have convinced my father to get to Jamaica...that would be sweet. My dad in Jamaica. Ha! He said he'd only go if he could drive there. I said we'd knock him out and get him on a plane. It's only three and a half hours from New Jersey; he seemed strangely okay with this.

One thing that just thrills me these days, more so with my father, is the fact that I can joke around with them now. I could with El, but she's always been far more liberal than my father. My father is hilarious; very deadpan. So deadpan that often when he's messing with you, if you don't know him well, you might think he's serious and ready to throw out the door. I got this from him, I think, because in junior high I earned the nickname 'Stoneface' during the game "Baby, if you love me, smile." No one could ever get me to smile. 

Anyway, I didn't joke around much with my dad, not because he was averse to laughing or was uptight or anything like that (no really, I'd sit on his stomach 'tickling' him and he'd fake laugh for me just to humor his four-year-old as she would laugh maniacally because she's making her daddy laugh. we had fun, but joking with him the way I would a friend or my sister...no way), but he was very much my father. 

I love my father with all the love a daughter can have for her father and I have the utmost respect for him and I attribute that to the fact that he had his role and played it as a father should. At least how *I* believe a father should be with his children. I probably believe that because it's how I was raised...huuuurrrrrr. I had friends; I needed and had a father. I wouldn't want it any other way.

These days, I'll joke around and even tease my dad and mom about things I wouldn't have even dared to ten years ago. I'm funny, like my daddy! :D I can even get him to laugh, which makes me just smile.

Now, I must give credence to El for somewhat liberating my father. I can say that El had a time dealing with me. I was a pain in the ass and I recognize that now, I'm so lucky to have her as my mom.

You must understand that my father is from the South. We're talking born before the end of segregation was even an idea of an idea of an idea. It's crazy to think my father grew up in such an era where he couldn't use any water fountain he wanted. He married my mother, Virginia, in a time when it was still frowned upon for inter-racial couples to do so. So, he has a certain way of life and seeing the world ingrained in him. Also, his father was a Baptist preacher; just want you to get the picture that my dad is pretty conservative in his thinking.

Anyway, El has been incredibly helpful in liberating my father in many things in life which has honestly made my life and even my sister's life a little bit easier. Without getting into things too personal, let's just say, she's been very instrumental in my growth and in getting my father to see me as still his child, but also an adult at the same time. It's been a fun journey. :) I love her madly, too!

Today I dedicate Things I Love Thursday to my parents! I love you both!

xoxo
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment